Journalists Matej Šurc and Blaž Zgaga investigated the illegal trade of arms in Slovenia during the early 1990s and chronicled their findings in the trilogy In the Name of the State. The first volume of the trilogy, Sell, published in June 2011, focused on the sale of arms and ammunition. The second volume, Resell, appeared in October 2011 and dealt with the purchase of arms abroad and subsequent resale to Croatia and Bosnia and Herzegovina during the UN arms embargo. The third volume, Cover-up, describes how the arms smugglers managed to keep their activities largely concealed for the last twenty years and was published in April 2012. Time for an interview with the authors, Matej Šurc and Blaž Zgaga.
Tracking arms smugglers is a difficult task, which cannot be done without cross-border cooperation with well informed and trusted journalists from different countries. That's what a Slovene team accomplished successfully. They found colleagues in Croatia and Bosnia-Herzegovina. Journalists from four other countries participated in wide and deep investigation.
OPATIJA - Spend a fun-packed week on the lovely Croatian coast and hone your investigative journalism skills with an elite line-up of experts in the field, August 21-27, 2011 in Opatija, Croatia.
- 12/06/2013 "We sometimes have to get our hands dirty"
- 04/06/2013 Offshore Leaks: ICIJ director Ryle in Brussels
- 26/04/2013 #dataharvest13
- 08/04/2013 Follow the money across borders (Brussels)
- 30/01/2013 Creative Funding for Creative Media - Report
- 22/01/2013 6 days left to apply for Good Pitch Europe 2013
- 11/01/2013 NATO Youth Summit looking for young reporters
- 20/12/2012 Russia bars Ukrainian journalist for 5 years
- 02/12/2012 Registration #WJEC3 now open
- 21/11/2012 Online start-ups spread income sources